Design-build project to construct a new indoor firing range for maintaining the proficiency of embassy security personnel. The range has fifteen shooting lanes, with multiple stations extending up to 100 yards from the target. An air-conditioned space with control/observation room, offices and bathroom is located at the up-range end of the building. Simulated sniper shooting positions are located on the floor above of the control room. At the other end of the range, behind the targets, is a ventilated bullet trap.
Corish Engineering served as the client’s third-party professional engineer for analysis of ventilation problems discovered during system commissioning. We inspected the as-built system and product submittal documentation for conformance to the engineering firm’s design, then witnessed and performed airflow testing at each shooting station. We provided recommendations for corrective action.
We've provided deliverables ranging from performance specifications to detailed design drawings for HVAC and plumbing in custom home projects up to 16,000 square feet of floor space. One engagement became the first LEED Gold-certified residential project in Virginia..
Systems have consisted of radiant floor heating, forced air cooling/heating and snow melting. Energy saving measures included ground-coupled heat exchangers (GHX) and energy recovery ventilators. Our work has included review of contractor submittals, observation of construction progress and witnessing system commissioning.
Projects have included the following:
- Designs for complete replacement of chiller, fan coil units, ductwork, piping, and controls serving a 28,000 square foot professional nursing facility. The new system incorporated outside air and humidification systems recommended for healthcare facilities.
- Design of HVAC and plumbing for new 3200 sf restaurant.
- Construction of a small chemical storage room within a manufacturing plant, rated for a hazardous atmosphere (Methyl Ethyl Ketone). This included provision of exhaust ventilation and make-up air system to protect operators from harmful vapors.
- Construction of new water supply pumped well, wellhouse, hydro-pneumatic, sludge and backwash tanks. We sized and selected the wellhouse unit heater, exhaust fan and louver, and emergency shower water heater and reviewed the overall mechanical design.
- Study of sprinkler system hydraulics at a 400,000 sf manufacturing plant.
- Design for HVAC, plumbing and fire protection systems for 8000 sf fire station, including apparatus bay, offices and bunkhouse.
- Replacement of oil-fired boiler for a 6800 sf office/apartment building.
- Design of HVAC system for 5400 sf sign-making shop.